How to Become a Patient
¿Cómo obtener una tarjeta de marihuana medicinal en el Estado de Massachusetts? Las instrucciones paso a paso ahora están disponibles en español. Para más información, visite: compassionforpatients.com/impact
If you have chronic pain, epilepsy, anxiety, depression, cancer, insomnia, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Crohn's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis or any other conditions that could be determined in writing by a qualifying physician to be debilitating you are likely eligible to get your medical marijuana card and participate in the Massachusetts medical marijuana program. You can find a list of medical marijuana doctors and nurses below that are qualified to issue medical marijuana certifications.
How do I find a healthcare provider who is certified to recommend medical cannabis?
Massachusetts residents can receive a certification for the medical use of marijuana from any Massachusetts Certifying Healthcare Provider that is registered to issue medical cannabis certifications. There are currently over 300 healthcare providers in Massachusetts that can certify qualifying patients for the medical use of cannabis. Below, you will find a list of some of the providers and how to contact them.
If you believe that you would benefit from using marijuana for medical purposes, make an appointment to see one of the healthcare providers for a visit. The healthcare provider will determine your suitability for the potential benefits of medical cannabis. If you qualify, the healthcare provider will issue your certification and send the information electronically to the Massachusetts Cannabis Control Commission (CCC). Once submitted by the healthcare provider, a 14-day temporary registration is generated instantly for the newly certified patient, which will provide access to procure up to 2.5 ounces of medical marijuana at Medical Marijuana Treatment Centers (MTCs).
Patients must still complete the online registration process with MassCIP in order to receive their physical Medical Program ID card and possess a 60-day supply. After healthcare provider certification, the patient will receive an e-mail from the CCC's Registration Portal <[email protected]> with a PIN number and the steps necessary to complete the registration process through the online portal.
The patient registration is also available in paper form for those without access to internet or an inability to complete the online form. Paper registrations are listed on Commission's website, find the form you need and print by clicking here. Please contact the Cannabis Control Commission's Medical Use of Marijuana Program Support Line at (833) 869-6820 or email <[email protected]> with further requests for paper registration forms. Paper forms may take more time for the Commission to process but can sometimes be easier to complete for some patients without scanners or access to computers.
What is the MassCIP and how do I register?
The Medical Use of Marijuana Online System exists within the Massachusetts Cannabis Industry Portal (MassCIP). You must first create your MassCIP account or claim your existing account in order to register with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program.
Registering for the First Time
- After receiving a healthcare provider certification you may register online by visiting the MassCIP to set up your Account: https://patient.massciportal.com
- Choose the option "I am a newly certified patient and I would like to create an account and register in the Medical Use of Marijuana Online System for the first time"
- Read through the instructions and fill out the required information in the form including first name, last name, e-mail address, repeat your e-mail address, create a password, and enter your new password again to confirm. Once finished, click the box next to the sentence “I agree to the Medical Use of Marijuana Online System's terms and conditions.”
- Click the box next to the sentence "I'm not a robot." Complete the "Captcha" which verifies that you are human.
- Press "Create Account" to create your account. This will bring you to the "Verify Your Account" page which displays the username to log in, and the steps to verify your account.
- Check for an email from <[email protected]> with the account verification link. You will have 30 minutes to click on the link. If you do not click that e-mail in time, you will have to have it re-sent.
- After verifying your account by clicking the verification link you will be brought back to the MassCIP log in page. Enter your username and password to log in.
Claiming Your Old Account From Virtual Gateway
If you received your medical marijuana card prior to January 2020 your registration was done through the Virtual Gateway Virtual Gateway was used by Department of Public Health from 2014-2019 to register patients, caregivers, and dispensary agents. In 2020, the Cannabis Control Commission migrated the Medical Use of Marijuana Online System from the Virtual Gateway to the Massachusetts Cannabis Industry Portal (MassCIP). This means that you must claim your old account information before logging into the Medical Use of Marijuana Online System.
- Visit the MassCIP to claim your Account: https://patient.massciportal.com
- Choose the option "I am an existing patient who used to have an account on the Massachusetts Virtual Gateway and I would like to claim my account so I can access the new Medical Use of Marijuana Online System"
- Read through the instructions and fill out the required information in the form including patient PIN or registration number, last name, date of birth, and last 4 numbers of social security number. Once finished, click the box next to the sentence “I agree to the Medical Use of Marijuana Online System's terms and conditions.”
- Click the box next to the sentence "I'm not a robot." Complete the "Captcha" which verifies that you are human.
- Press "Claim Account" to claim your account. This will bring you to the "Claim Account Email Sent" page which displays the email address where the link to reclaim the account has been sent.
- Check for an email from <[email protected]> with a link to claim your account and create a new password.
- After clicking the link you will be prompted to create a new password for your account. Make a password and press "Create Password"
- You will be shown a notice that your account has been successfully claimed. Click the link to go to the log in page to access the Medical Use of Marijuana Online System. On the login page enter your username and password and click log in.
How do I successfully register my information with the medical marijuana program?
- Log In to the MassCIP with your username and password. Once you’ve logged in, click “Register as a Patient” button to continue.
- Enter your Identification Information: PIN or Registration Number. (This is the same Patient PIN that was generated when your certifying physician sent your certification to the Cannabis Control Commission. You can find your PIN in the e-mail from the Commission in Step 1), Last Name, Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY), Last 4 Digits of Social Security Number, and press proceed.
- Read Through the General Instructions and Press Proceed
- Complete Registration Information: Enter your mother’s maiden name, choose your gender, you must enter a phone number into the home phone section, and enter your e-mail.
- Residential Address: Enter your full residential address
- Mailing Address: Enter your full mailing address (Click box if your mailing address is same as your residential address)
- Read through and Agree to all Attestations. Click proceed.
How do I upload my valid form of identification? What does the Cannabis Control Commission accept as valid identification?
You must upload a color file of either your valid Massachusetts driver's license, Massachusetts ID card (that has a picture of yourself on it); US Passport; or US Military ID as part of your registration. If you submit a driver's license or Massachusetts ID card as your valid form of identification, the name and address in your application must match the name and address on your ID. If the address on the front of your license or ID card is no longer your current address you must write your current address on the back of your identification in permanent marker and upload both the front and back. If uploading a US military ID, please also scan and upload the front and back of the card.)
- Select which Valid Form of Identification you will be uploading
- Enter the Number on your Valid Form of Identification
- Enter the expiration date on your Valid Form of Identification
- Select the file of the your Valid Form of Identification to Upload. Once you’ve chosen the file, click the Upload button.
Once you’ve uploaded your Identification Image(s), you will see “My Uploaded Document” You will see the Date and Timestamp of your Uploaded Image. Under “Actions” you may delete your uploaded image. Once you have uploaded your file successfully you may proceed to the next page. If you submit a US Passport or US Military ID, you will be required to upload an additional photograph of yourself that will be placed on your Program ID card.
(Your uploaded file must be in PDF or JPG format and file size must be under 2MB. You may scan your images using a scanner or take pictures using a phone with a clear camera.)
How do I finalize my registration application and receive my Program ID card?
Submit a Document that Proves Your Residency: The last piece of documentation required is additional proof of your Massachusetts residency. Acceptable pieces of documentation include the following: Utility bill (gas, electric, telephone, cable, or heating oil) that is less than 60 days old and must contain your name and address, current Massachusetts motor vehicle registration card with your current address, tuition bill with a due date of less than 6 months ago and addressed to your current address, car insurance policy or bill that is dated less than 60 days old, home mortgage, lease or loan contracts dated within 6 months of today with your name, address and signature, certified U.S. Marriage Certificate dated within the past 6 months, property tax or excise tax bill for the current year with your name and address, first-class mail dated less than 60 days old from any federal or state agency that displays your name and address, or a Current Massachusetts-issued Professional License with your address. Your name and address on the document that you submit must match your Valid Form of Identification.
Review and Submit Application: Check that all information you have submitted is correct before submission. Once you’re ready, submit your patient registration application to the Commission. If you chose to register with a Massachusetts Drivers License your application may be automatically approved if your information is considered valid. The Commission must manually review the applications of patients who use a US Passport or Military ID to register with the program. These applications in the order it was received. You will be notified via e-mail from MassCIP <[email protected]> when your application was accepted or is not complete. If your application is not complete, your e-mail message will tell you what the issue is and how you can log back into MassCIP to fix the information for resubmission.
When the Commission approves your registration application you may log back in your MassCIP account and print your temporary program ID card by clicking the "Print Temporary Program ID card" link on the homepage. Your temporary program ID card acts as your card until your official card arrives in the mail.
Brockton, Brookline, Fall River, Somerville, Lowell, Pittsfield, and Mashpee Locations
List of Doctors & Nurses
Action Medicine (781-767-0910) 175 N. Franklin Street, 2nd Floor, Holbrook, MA 02343
Alternative Wellness Centers (617-420-7890)
- 245 Russell Street, Unit 23, Hadley, MA 01035
- 146 West Boylston Drive, Suite 202, Worcester, MA 01606
- 152 North Street, #42 Pittsfield, MA 01201
- 49 Pleasant Street, Newburyport, MA 01950 (Inside Cape Ann Botanicals)
- 8 Central Street, Ipswich, MA 01938 (Inside Cape Ann Botanicals)
B & B Consulting MA (833-739-0607) 1082 Davol St Suite 219, Fall River, MA 02720
Boston Alternative Wellness (617-739-1122) 1223 Beacon St, Suite A Brookline, MA, 02446
Boston South Shore Natural Therapies (508-746-0754) 45 Resnik Road, Suite 202, Plymouth, Massachusetts 02360
CED Clinic (617-500-3595) 822 Boylston St, Floor 2, Suite 206 Chestnut Hill MA, 02467
CANNA CARE DOCTORS (781-382-8053)
1. Stoughton: 966 Park St, Unit C-4 – Stoughton, MA 02072
2. Seekonk: 495 Central Ave, Seekonk, MA 02771
3. Danvers: Crane Brook Office Park, 150A Andover St., Suite 3, Danvers, MA 01923
4. Yarmouth Port: 938 Unit 2 on MA-6A, Yarmouth Port, MA 02675
5. Worcester: 500 West Boylston Street, Worcester MA 01606
6. Waltham: 94 River St. #4, Waltham, MA 02453
7. Fall River: 82 Hartwell St. 2nd Floor, Fall River, MA 02720
8. Northampton: 243 King Street, Suite 247 Northampton, MA 01060
9. Pittsfield: 505 East St #101, Pittsfield, MA 01201
10. Burlington: 101 Cambridge St #310 Burlington, MA 01803
CannaMed Boston (866-624-1191) 475 Franklin Street Suite 205 Framingham, MA 01702
Canna~Wise Alternative Medicine (774-321-6057) 27A Midstate Drive Auburn, MA 01501
Cape Cod Canna Doc (508-295-2729) 194 Main St, Wareham, Massachusetts 02571, United States
Casco Bay Medical (978-705-1905) 130 Centre Street 2nd Floor, Suite 10 Danvers Massachusetts 01923
Creating Well Being (508-545-2500)
- 30 Golf Drive, Plymouth, Massachusetts 02360
- 186 Summer Street, 2nd Floor, Kingston, MA 02364
- 46 Bradford Street, Provincetown, MA 02657
Docs Consult (412-223-6505)
- 106 Federal Street, Greenfield, Massachusetts 01301
- 15 Benton Drive, East Longmeadow, Massachusetts 01028
Dr. Lydia Kapell 1111 Elm St, West Springfield, MA 01089 Suite 30 Phone: (413) 342-4699
Dr. Ryan Zaklin MD (978-219-9307) 84 Highland Ave Suite 303 Salem, MA, 01970
Dr. Walker Wellness (508-375-7976) 63B Anderson Ave. Middleborough, Massachusetts 02346
Green Network Providers (844-464-3882) 221 Union St. Rockland, MA, 02370
The Green Nurse (855-475-4334) & (617-812-4827) 118 Bayview Ave, Berkley MA 02779
InhaleMD with Dr. Jordan Tishler (617-477-8886)
- 1101 Beacon St. Ste 8W Brookline MA 02446
- 777 Concord Ave. # 104 Cambridge, MA 02138
IslandCannabisMD with Dr. Terry Kriedman (508-696-9946) 455 State Road (Woodland Center), Vineyard Haven, MA, 02575
Kablotsky Internal Medicine (978-562-3536) 1 Cabot Road Suite 101 Hudson, MA 01749
MMJ Medical Practice (978-594-0816) 60 Washington Street, 4th Floor, Salem Massachusetts 01970
MariMed Consults (413-455-1081) 1985 Main Street #209, Springfield, Massachusetts 01103
Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Certification (781-662-2243) 3 Woodland Road, Suite 322, Stoneham, Massachusetts 02180
- 3 Baldwin Green Common (opposite 12 Elm Street), Suite 303 Woburn, MA 01801 (781-933-9399)
- 59 Coddington Street, Suite 103, Quincy, Massachusetts 02169 (617-745-0700)
MedWell Health (774-517-5195) & (866-566-9333)
- Brockton: 1200 West Chestnut St.
- Brookline: 44 Washington St. Suite 104A
- Lowell: 79 Merrimack St. Unit 201
- Mashpee: 17D Trinity Pl.
- Pittsfield: 644 North St.
- Somerville: 55 Broadway
- Fairhaven: 119 Alden Rd.
MediGroup PC (781-986-0507) 4 Frank Leary Way, Randolph, Massachusetts 02368
Schwartz Medical Group (781-551-8002) 99 Access Road, Norwood, Massachusetts 02062
South Shore Primary and Urgent Care (781-561-0460) 20 East St #5, Hanover, MA 02339
The Holistic Center (617-787-7400)
- 320 Washington Street, 3rd Floor Suite 300, Brighton, Massachusetts 02135
- 233 Needham St., Suite 300, Newton, MA 02464
Thistle Therapies (774-266-2336)
True Herbal Consults (617-401-5295)
- 25 North Main Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720
- 269 Washington Street, Somerville, MA 02143
- 360 West Boylston Street Suite 210, West Boylston, MA 01583
- 1272 Hyde Park Ave, Hyde Park, MA 02136
Unitas Healthcare Systems (617-401-7441) 1208 VFW Pkwy STE 301, West Roxbury, MA 02132
Uplifting Health & Wellness with Dr. Uma Dhanabalan (508-444-2324) 777 Concord Ave, Cambridge, MA 02138
Wellness Alternatives (508-473-8800) 258 Main Street, Suite 208, Milford, Massachusetts 01757
Zeniasis (617-454-4186) 50 Lexington Street, Framingham, Massachusetts 01702
Don't see your practice listed? Want to feature your practice at the top of the page? Please email [email protected] for more information.
Complete Pediatric Care
CED Clinic's mission is to provide a comfortable and professional environment where patients and clinicians can openly discuss medical cannabis and its benefits. Having two board-certified doctors on staff, CED Clinic is proud to offer complete pediatric certifications in addition to the certifications that CED Clinic provides adults in Massachusetts medical cannabis program. To maximize safety, all appointments are currently being completed via telemedicine at this time.
Please visit CEDclinic.com or call 617-500-3595 to learn more or to book an appointment.
Uplifting Health and Wellness provides certifications to qualifying patients of all ages, including pediatric patients. The office has a healthcare provider who is qualified to issue pediatric certifications for the Medical Use of Marijuana Program. Uplifting Health & Wellness is also able to refer pediatric patients and their caregivers to a second provider qualified to certify pediatric patients.
Please visit Uplifting Health & Wellness or call (508) 444-2324 to learn more or to book an appointment.
Complaints or suggestions. Tell us your experience at dispensaries, with law enforcement, doctors. We want to know.
Because health insurance does not currently cover medical cannabis clinician visits and costs for medicine, the Massachusetts Patient Advocacy Alliance, Inc. created financial aid partnerships with healthcare providers in Massachusetts. These healthcare providers have generously donated financial aid vouchers to defray the costs of the clinician visits for low-income patients that qualify.
New patients are encouraged to apply through our form dedicated to New Patients. If you are a returning patient to any one of our financial aid partners, please apply through their dedicated link. This will help MPAA, Inc. staff stay organized and eliminate duplicates.
By filling out this form you agree to MPAA, Inc. sharing some contact information (first name, email, phone number) with an available financial aid partner for the purposes of connecting you with an available financial aid voucher. Vouchers are limited so MPAA, Inc. Staff assess applications on a first come, first serve basis. We do not share or sell your information for the purposes of marketing and this program is not in exchange for money or promotional services.
Vouchers donated from healthcare providers are not in exchange for promotion, patient information, or monetary value. The Massachusetts Patient Advocacy Alliance, Inc. is simply the vessel in which the Financial Aid Vouchers are distributed to the general public on a "first come, first serve" basis. Vouchers are exclusively to defray the costs for patients that are in need of financial aid and no purchase or participation is necessary. Voucher donations from our Financial Aid partners are managed separately are not in exchange for prominent placement on the MPAA Website and/or event sponsorships.
Since the inception of the Financial Aid/Voucher Programs, the Massachusetts Patient Advocacy Alliance, Inc. has been able to reach patients in areas that have been negatively impacted by verifying information such as cultural background, location, and income. Full names, data provided, and other sensitive information is kept private.
We humbly thank our Financial Aid Partners for this opportunity to maintain our connection with the general public and patients during the pandemic.
If you are a patient that does not have an email address, you can simply call the MPAA, Inc. Hotline to apply: 617-286-4427
FINANCIAL AID PARTNERS
|Canna~Wise Financial Aid||CED Clinic Financial Aid||MedWell Financial Aid|
An initiative spearheaded by Frank Shaw