How to Become a Patient
If you have chronic pain, epilepsy, anxiety, depression, cancer, insomnia, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Crohn's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis or any other conditions that could be determined in writing by a qualifying physician to be debilitating you are likely eligible to participate in the Massachusetts medical marijuana program.
How do I find a healthcare provider who is certified to recommend medical cannabis?
Massachusetts residents can receive a certification for the medical use of marijuana from any Massachusetts Registered Certifying Clinician that is licensed to issue medical cannabis certifications. There are currently over 300 clinicians in Massachusetts able to certify qualifying patients for the medical use of cannabis. You can find our list of providers and their contact information below.
See one of the healthcare providers for a visit. The clinician will determine your suitability for the potential benefits of medical cannabis. If you qualify, the clinician will issue your certification and send information electronically to the Massachusetts Cannabis Control Commission. Once submitted by the healthcare provider, a 14-day temporary registration is generated instantly for the newly certified patient to access 2.5 ounces of medical marijuana at Medical Marijuana Treatment Centers (MTCs).
Patients must complete the full registration process in order to receive their physical Medical Program ID card and possess a 60-day supply. After clinician certification, the patient will receive an e-mail from the Commission (CNB) with a PIN number to complete the registration process through the online portal. Clinicians are encouraged to provide patients with the 14-day instant access certification, patient PIN number, and formal steps to register.
The patient registration is also available in paper form for those without access to internet. Paper registrations are listed on Commission's website, find the form you need and print by clicking here. Please contact the Cannabis Control Commission's Medical Use of Marijuana Program Support Line at (833) 869-6820 with further requests for paper registration forms. Paper forms may take more time for the Commission to process but can be easier to complete for some patients without scanners or access to computers.
What is the Virtual Gateway and how do I register?
The Medical Use of Marijuana Online System exists within the Executive Office of Health and Human Services’ Virtual Gateway. You must first create your Virtual Gateway account in order to register with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program.
- Registering for the First Time: After receiving a clinician certification you may register online by visiting the Virtual Gateway to Setup your Account: https://sso.hhs.state.ma.us/VGPortal/faces/SelfReg.jspx
- Read through the Terms and Conditions and click “I Accept.”
- Select Medical Use of Marijuana System as the Service Name.
- Enter your first name, (middle initial is optional), last name, create your own 4 digit pin, birth date (month/day), e-mail address, and complete the security question.
- Press Submit. You will then receive an e-mail from Gateway, Virtual (EHS) <email@example.com> titled, "Your Virtual Gateway Account”
- Open the e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org titled, "Your Virtual Gateway Account” and click the link inside to complete your Virtual Gateway account setup. (The link expires 7 days from when it is sent)
- Review that all of your account information on the page is correct
- Create a password: Between 8 and 16 characters. Your password must contain at least one uppercase character, at least one lowercase character, and at least one number. (Passwords cannot contain: the words "test", "password", or "pass", your first name, your last name, or your full name, your virtual gateway username, your email address.)
- Choose two of the six secret questions and provide answers. These answers are to help you regain control of your account if you lose or forget your password. (Questions include, “What is your favorite song?, What is your favorite drink? What is your favorite food? What is your favorite animal?”)
- Press Submit. Your username will appear on a Congratulations page. You will also receive your username in an e-mail from “Gateway, Virtual (EHS) <email@example.com>” titled “Congratulations on Creating Your Virtual Gateway Account!"
How do I successfully register my information with the medical marijuana program?
- Log In to the Virtual Gateway with your username and password. Once you’ve logged in, select the Medical Use of Marijuana System and continue. You’ve reached the Medical Use of Marijuana Online Registration System. Click “Register as a Patient” to Continue.
- Enter your Identification Information: PIN or Registration Number. (This is the same Patient PIN that was generated when your certifying physician sent your certification to the Cannabis Control Commission. You find your PIN in the e-mail from the Commission (CNB) in Step 1), Last Name, Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY), Last 4 Digits of Social Security Number, and Press Proceed.
- Read Through the General Instructions and Press Proceed
- Complete Registration Information: Enter your mother’s maiden name, choose your gender, you must enter a phone number into the home phone section, and enter your e-mail.
- Residential Address: Enter your full residential address
- Mailing Address: Enter your full mailing address (Click box if Mailing Address is same as residential address)
- Read through and Agree to all Attestations.
How do I upload my valid form of identification?
You must upload a color file of your Massachusetts driver's license, Massachusetts ID card (that has a picture of yourself on it); US Passport; or US Military ID. If you submit a driver's license or Massachusetts ID card as your valid form of identification, the name and address in your application must match the name and address on your ID. If the address on the front of your license is no longer your current address you must write your current address on the back of your license in permanent marker and upload the front and back. If uploading a US military ID, also scan and upload the front and back of the card.)
- Select which Valid Form of Identification you will be uploading
- Enter the Number on your Valid Form of Identification
- Enter the expiration date on your Valid Form of Identification
- Select the file of the your Valid Form of Identification to Upload. Once you’ve chosen the file, click the Upload button.
Once you’ve uploaded your Identification Image(s), you will see “My Uploaded Document” You will see the Date and Timestamp of your Uploaded Image. Under “Actions” you may delete your uploaded image. Once you have uploaded your file successfully you may proceed to the next page.
(Your uploaded file must be in PDF or JPG format and file size must be under 2MB. You may scan your images using a scanner or take pictures using a phone with a clear camera.)
How do I finalize my registration application and receive my Program ID card?
Review and Submit Application: Check that all information you have submitted is correct before submission. Once you’re ready, submit your patient registration application to the Commission. The Commission will review your application in the order it was received. You will be notified via e-mail from CNBCommission (CNB) <firstname.lastname@example.org> whether your application was accepted or is not complete. If your application is not complete, your e-mail message will tell you what the issue is and how you can log back into the Virtual Gateway to fix the information for resubmission.
When the Commission approves your registration application you may log back in your Virtual Gateway account, select Medical Use of Marijuana System, and print your temporary program ID card by clicking the "Print Temporary Program ID card" link on the homepage. Your temporary program ID card acts as your card until your official card arrives in the mail. You may use your temporary program ID card to enter Registered Marijuana Dispensaries and possess a 60-day supply of medicine.
Certifying Physician List
CANNA CARE DOCTORS (781-382-8053)
1. Stoughton: 966 Park St, Unit C-4 – Stoughton, MA 02072
2. Seekonk: 495 Central Ave, Seekonk, MA 02771
3. Danvers: Crane Brook Office Park, 150A Andover St., Suite 3, Danvers, MA 01923
4. Yarmouth Port: 938 Unit 2 on MA-6A, Yarmouth Port, MA 02675
5. Worcester: 500 West Boylston Street, Worcester MA 01606
6. Waltham: 94 River St. #4, Waltham, MA 02453
7. Fall River: 82 Hartwell St. 2nd Floor, Fall River, MA 02720
8. Northampton: 243 King Street, Suite 247 Northampton, MA 01060
9. Pittsfield: 505 East St #101, Pittsfield, MA 01201
10. Burlington: 101 Cambridge St #310 Burlington, MA 01803
11. Ipswich: 8 Central St., Ipswich MA
InhaleMD with Dr. Jordan Tishler (617-477-8886)
- 1101 Beacon St. Ste 8W Brookline MA 02446
- 777 Concord Ave. # 104 Cambridge, MA 02138
Uplifting Health & Wellness with Dr. Uma Dhanabalan (508-444-2324) 127 W. Central St. Suite 220, Natick, MA 01760
Dr. Walker Wellness (508-375-7976) 63B Anderson Ave. Middleborough, Massachusetts 02346
MMJ Medical Practice (978-594-0816) 60 Washington Street, 4th Floor, Salem Massachusetts 01970
Docs Consult (412-223-6505)
- 106 Federal Street, Greenfield, Massachusetts 01301
- 15 Benton Drive, East Longmeadow, Massachusetts 01028
Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Certification (781-662-2243) 3 Woodland Road, Suite 322, Stoneham, Massachusetts 02180
Cannascribe Wellness (857-222-4341) 120 Wells Avenue, Suite 407, Newton, Massachusetts 02467, United States
CEDClinic.com (617-500-3595) 822 Boylston St, Floor 2, Suite 206 Chestnut Hill MA, 02467
South Shore Primary and Urgent Care (781-561-0460) 20 East St #5, Hanover, MA 02339
Marijuana Mass (978-462-1125) 36 Water Street, Newburyport, Massachusetts 01950
Dr. Ryan Zaklin MD (978-219-9307) 84 Highland Ave Suite 303 Salem, MA, 01970
Schwartz Medical Group (781-551-8002) 99 Access Road, Norwood, Massachusetts 02062
Creating Well Being (508-545-2500)
- 30 Golf Drive, Plymouth, Massachusetts 02360
- 186 Summer Street, 2nd Floor, Kingston, MA 02364
- 46 Bradford Street, Provincetown, MA 02657
Medical Marijuana Certification Lydia Kapell MD (413-342-4699) 1111 Elm St. Suite 30, West Springfield, MA, 01089
Boston Alternative Wellness (617-739-1122) 1223 Beacon St, Suite A Brookline, MA, 02446
CannaMed Boston (866-624-1191) 475 Franklin Street Suite 205 Framingham, MA 01702
Casco Bay Medical (978-705-1905) 130 Centre Street 2nd Floor, Suite 10 Danvers Massachusetts 01923
MediGroup PC (781-986-0507) 4 Frank Leary Way, Randolph, Massachusetts 02368
- 3 Baldwin Green Common (opposite 12 Elm Street), Suite 303 Woburn, MA 01801 (781-933-9399)
- 59 Coddington Street, Suite 103, Quincy, Massachusetts 02169 (617-745-0700)
True Herbal Consults (617-401-5259)
- 25 North Main Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720
- 269 Washington Street, Somerville, MA 02143
- 360 West Boylston Street Suite 210, West Boylston, MA 01583
- 1272 Hyde Park Ave, Hyde Park, MA 02136
The Holistic Center (617-787-7400)
- 320 Washington Street, 3rd Floor Suite 300, Brighton, Massachusetts 02135
- 233 Needham St., Suite 300, Newton, MA 02464
MariMed Consults (413-455-1081) 1985 Main Street #209, Springfield, Massachusetts 01103
Boston South Shore Natural Therapies (508-746-0754) 45 Resnik Road, Suite 202, Plymouth, Massachusetts 02360
Don't see your physician practice listed? Want to feature your practice at the top of the page? Please email email@example.com for more information.
Complaints or suggestions. Tell us your experience at dispensaries, with law enforcement, doctors. We want to know.