How to Become a Patient
If you have chronic pain, epilepsy, anxiety, depression, cancer, insomnia, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Crohn's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis or any other conditions that could be determined in writing by a qualifying physician to be debilitating you are likely eligible to participate in the Massachusetts medical marijuana program.
How do I find a physician who is certified to recommend medical cannabis?
Patients can receive a certification for the medical use of marijuana from any Massachusetts physician licensed to issue medical cannabis recommendations. There are currently over 200 physicians in Massachusetts able to certify qualifying patients for the medical use of cannabis. You can find our list of physicians their contact information below.
See one of the healthcare providers for a visit. The physician will determine your suitability for the potential benefits of medical cannabis. If you qualify the physician will issue your certification. The physician then sends your information electronically to the Department of Public Health. You will receive an e-mail from DPHOnlineSystem (DPH) <firstname.lastname@example.org> with a PIN number for you to continue with the next step of the registration process.
The patient registration is also available in paper form. Please contact the Department of Public Health's Medical Use of Marijuana Program Support Line at (617) 660-5370 with any requests for paper forms. Paper forms may take more time for the Department to process but can be easier for some patients without scanners or access to computers to complete.
What is the Virtual Gateway and how do I register?
The Medical Use of Marijuana Online System exists within the Executive Office of Health and Human Services’ Virtual Gateway. You must first create your Virtual Gateway account in order to register with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program.
- Registering for the First Time: After receiving a physician certification you may register online by visiting the Virtual Gateway to Setup your Account: https://sso.hhs.state.ma.us/VGPortal/faces/SelfReg.jspx
- Read through the Terms and Conditions and click “I Accept.”
- Select Medical Use of Marijuana System as the Service Name.
- Enter your first name, (middle initial is optional), last name, create your own 4 digit pin, birth date (month/day), e-mail address, and complete the security question.
- Press Submit. You will then receive an e-mail from Gateway, Virtual (EHS) <email@example.com> titled, "Your Virtual Gateway Account”
- Open the e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org titled, "Your Virtual Gateway Account” and click the link inside to complete your Virtual Gateway account setup. (The link expires 7 days from when it is sent)
- Review that all of your account information on the page is correct
- Create a password: Between 8 and 16 characters. Your password must contain at least one uppercase character, at least one lowercase character, and at least one number. (Passwords cannot contain: the words "test", "password", or "pass", your first name, your last name, or your full name, your virtual gateway username, your email address.)
- Choose two of the six secret questions and provide answers. These answers are to help you regain control of your account if you lose or forget your password. (Questions include, “What is your favorite song?, What is your favorite drink? What is your favorite food? What is your favorite animal?”)
- Press Submit. Your username will appear on a Congratulations page. You will also receive your username in an e-mail from “Gateway, Virtual (EHS) <email@example.com>” titled “Congratulations on Creating Your Virtual Gateway Account!
How do I register my information with the medical marijuana program?
- Log In to the Virtual Gateway with your username and password. Once you’ve logged in, select the Medical Use of Marijuana System and continue. You’ve reached the Medical Use of Marijuana Online Registration System. Click “Register as a Patient” to Continue.
- Enter your Identification Information: PIN or Registration Number. (This is the same Patient PIN that was generated when your certifying physician sent your certification to the Department of Public Health. You find your PIN in the e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org in Step 1), Last Name, Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY), Last 4 Digits of Social Security Number, and Press Proceed.
- Read Through the General Instructions and Press Proceed
- Complete Registration Information: Enter your mother’s maiden name, choose your gender, you must enter a phone number into the home phone section, and enter your e-mail.
- Residential Address: Enter your full residential address
- Mailing Address: Enter your full mailing address (Click box if Mailing Address is same as residential address)
- Read through and Agree to all Attestations.
How do I upload my valid form of identification?
You must upload a color file of your Massachusetts driver's license, Massachusetts ID card (that has a picture of yourself on it); US Passport; or US Military ID. If you submit a driver's license or Massachusetts ID card as your valid form of identification, the name and address in your application must match the name and address on your ID. If the address on the front of your license is no longer your current address you must write your current address on the back of your license in permanent marker or place a label or sticker with your current address on the back of your license. If uploading a US military ID, scan and upload the front and back of the card.)
- Select which Valid Form of Identification you will be uploading
- Enter the Number on your Valid Form of Identification
- Enter the expiration date on your Valid Form of Identification
- Select the file of the your Valid Form of Identification to Upload. Once you’ve chosen the file, click the Upload button.
Once you’ve uploaded your Identification Image(s), you will see “My Uploaded Document” You will see the Date and Timestamp of your Uploaded Image. Under “Actions” you may delete your uploaded image. Once you have uploaded your file successfully you may proceed to the next page.
(Your uploaded file must be in PDF or JPG format and file size must be under 2MB. You may scan your images using a scanner or take pictures using a phone with a clear camera.)
How do I pay my registration fee or apply to have the fee waived?
The Department of Public Health charges a $50 registration fee to complete a new patient registration. This is a fee that is renewed annually. If you have documented verified financial hardship you qualify for a waiver of the $50 registration fee. To apply for a waiver of the registration fee you must submit proof of verified financial hardship.
Proof of verified financial hardship includes a copy of one of the following: Official Masshealth acceptance letter from the past 12 months, official MassHealth redetermination letter from the past 12 months, MassHealth card issued by MassHealth, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefit verification letter for the current year, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program ("SNAP") statement from the current year; or Complete State or Federal tax return from this year or last year, including all attatchments (all schedules and forms such as Form W-2, Form 1099, ect.)
- To Pay the $50 fee: Click the “Pay Fee” button at the bottom of the page. (During the payment process, do not click the Back, Refresh, or Stop buttons, or close your browser. Doing so may interrupt the process or charge your card multiple times.)
- Choose your payment method, Credit Card, Debit Card, or Bank Account Funds Transfer
- Enter your card number or account information, expiration dates, and zip code associated with your account.
- Enter your e-mail address. Enter again for confirmation.
- Press Continue to Review your Payment and Information.
- Authorize Payment.
- To apply for a registration fee waiver: Check the small white box and then press the proceed button.
- Answer the question: “Are you an active MassHealth recipient, currently receiving Supplemental Security Income, or receiving Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program/SNAP (formerly Food Stamp Program);” If you answered Yes, then press the proceed button. (If you answered No, you will be able to proceed and upload your tax return with household income that does not exceed 300% of the federal poverty level for your family size.)
- Choose the type of proof you will be submitting.
- Choose the file you would like to upload as your documented proof of verified financial hardship. Press the Upload button.
Once you’ve uploaded your verified financial hardship document, you will see “My Uploaded Document” You will see the Date and Timestamp of your Uploaded Image. Under “Actions” you may delete your uploaded image. Press proceed to continue.
How do I finalize my registration application and access medical marijuana dispensaries?
Review and Submit Application: Check that all information you have submitted is correct before submission. Once you’re ready, submit your patient registration application to the Department. The Department will review your application in the order it was received. You will be notified via e-mail from DPHOnlineSystem (DPH) <email@example.com> whether your application was accepted or denied. If your application is denied, your e-mail message will tell you what the issue is and how you can log back into the Virtual Gateway to fix the information before submitting the application again.
When the Department approves your registration application you may log back in your Virtual Gateway account, select Medical Use of Marijuana System, and print your temporary program ID card by clicking the "Print Temporary Program ID card" link on the homepage. Your temporary program ID card acts as your card until your official card arrives in the mail. You may use your temporary program ID card to enter Registered Marijuana Dispensaries and possess a 60-day supply of medicine at any time.
CANNA CARE DOCTORS 781-382-8053
1. Stoughton: 966 Park St, Unit C-4 – Stoughton, MA 02072 Tues (10am-4pm) and Fri (10am-4pm)
2. Seekonk: 495 Central Ave, SEEKONK, MA 02771 Mon 10-4, Wed 10-4, Thurs 10-4 and Sat 10-3
3. Peabody: 6 Essex Center Dr. Peabody, MA, 01960 Fri 10-4 and Sat 10-3
4. South Dennis: 708 Route 134, South Dennis, MA 02660 (Unit6) Tues (10-4) and Thur (10-4)
5. Worcester: 101 Pleasant Street, Suite 101 Worcester, MA Mon (10-4), Tues (10-4), Thurs (12-6), and Fri (12-6)
6. Waltham: 269 Moody Street Suite 203, Waltham, MA Mon (10-4) and Thurs (12 – 6)
7. Fall River: 260 North Main Street, Fall River, MA 02720 Tues (10-4) and Fri (10-4)
8. Northampton: 243 King Street, Suite 247 Northampton, MA 01060 Tues (10-4) Wed (10-4) and Fri (12–6)
InhaleMD with Dr. Jordan Tishler (617-477-8886) 1101 Beacon St. Ste 8W Brookline MA 02446
Total Health Care with Dr. Uma Dhanabalan (508-444-2324) 127 W. Central St., Natick, MA 01760
Integrative Medicine and Holistic Wellness Center (508-790-0606) 677 West Main Street Hyannis Massachusetts 02601
Dr. Walker Wellness (508-375-7976) 63B Anderson Ave. Middleborough, Massachusetts 02346
MMJ Physician Practice (978-594-0816) 60 Washington Street, 4th Floor, Salem Massachusetts 01970
Docs Consult (412-223-6505)
- 106 Federal Street, Greenfield, Massachusetts 01301
- 15 Benton Drive, East Longmeadow, Massachusetts 01028
Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Certification (781-662-2243) 3 Woodland Road, Suite 322, Stoneham, Massachusetts 02180
Integr8 Massachusetts (781-328-4488) 101 Cambridge Street Suite 310, Burlington, Massachusetts 01803
Marijuana Mass (978-462-1125) 36 Water Street, Newburyport, Massachusetts 01950
Northampton Medical Marijuana (413-341-3417) 41 Locust Street, Northampton, Massachusetts 01060
Care & Comfort Docs P.C. Clinics (978) 221-5495) 200 Central Street Suite 2 Lowell Massachusetts 01852
Schwartz Medical Group (781-551-8002) 99 Access Road, Norwood, Massachusetts 02062
CannaMed Boston (866-624-1191) 873 Concord Street, Framingham, MA 01701
Delta-9 Medical Consulting (970-335-8290)
- 421 Merrimack Street, Methuen, Massachusetts 01844
- 388 Pleasant Street, Malden, Massachusetts 02148
Casco Bay Medical (978-705-1905) 130 Centre Street 2nd Floor, Suite 10 Danvers Massachusetts 01923
MediGroup PC (781-986-0507) 4 Frank Leary Way, Randolph, Massachusetts 02368
- 800 West Cummings Park, Suite 1775, Woburn, Massachusetts 01801 (781-933-9399)
- 59 Coddington Street, Suite 103, Quincy, Massachusetts 02169 (617-745-0700)
True Herbal Consults (617-401-5259) 25 North Main Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720
The Holistic Center (617-787-7400) 320 Washington Street, 3rd Floor Suite 300, Brighton, Massachusetts 02135
MariMed Consults (413-455-1081) 1985 Main Street #306, Springfield, Massachusetts 01103
Boston South Shore Natural Therapies (508-746-0754) 45 Resnik Road, Suite 202, Plymouth, Massachusetts 02360
Don't see your physician practice listed? Want to feature your practice at the top of the page? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Complaints or suggestions. Tell us your experience at dispensaries, with law enforcement, doctors. We want to know.