How do I pay my registration fee or apply to have the fee waived?
The Cannabis Control Commission charges a $50 registration fee to complete a new patient registration. This is a fee that is renewed annually. If you have documented verified financial hardship you qualify for a waiver of the $50 registration fee. To apply for a waiver of the registration fee you must submit proof of verified financial hardship. As of July 2019, the Commission formally proposed eliminating the annual patient registration fee in their draft regulations, which could take effect as soon as October 2019.
Proof of verified financial hardship includes a copy of one of the following: Official Masshealth acceptance letter from the past 12 months, official MassHealth redetermination letter from the past 12 months, MassHealth card issued by MassHealth, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefit verification letter for the current year, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program ("SNAP") statement from the current year; or Complete State or Federal tax return from this year or last year, including all attatchments (all schedules and forms such as Form W-2, Form 1099, ect.)
- To Pay the $50 fee: Click the “Pay Fee” button at the bottom of the page. (During the payment process, do not click the Back, Refresh, or Stop buttons, or close your browser. Doing so may interrupt the process or charge your card multiple times.)
- Choose your payment method, Credit Card, Debit Card, or Bank Account Funds Transfer
- Enter your card number or account information, expiration dates, and zip code associated with your account.
- Enter your e-mail address. Enter again for confirmation.
- Press Continue to Review your Payment and Information.
- Authorize Payment.
- To apply for a registration fee waiver: Check the small white box and then press the proceed button.
- Answer the question: “Are you an active MassHealth recipient, currently receiving Supplemental Security Income, or receiving Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program/SNAP (formerly Food Stamp Program);” If you answered Yes, then press the proceed button. (If you answered No, you will be able to proceed and upload your tax return with household income that does not exceed 300% of the federal poverty level for your family size.)
- Choose the type of proof you will be submitting.
- Choose the file you would like to upload as your documented proof of verified financial hardship. Press the Upload button.
Once you’ve uploaded your verified financial hardship document, you will see “My Uploaded Document” and the Date and Timestamp of your Uploaded Image. Under “Actions” you may delete your uploaded image. Press proceed to continue.