How do I find a healthcare provider who is certified to recommend medical cannabis?
Massachusetts residents can receive a certification for the medical use of marijuana from any Massachusetts Registered Certifying Clinician that is licensed to issue medical cannabis certifications. There are currently over 300 clinicians in Massachusetts able to certify qualifying patients for the medical use of cannabis. You can find a list of some providers and their contact information below.
See one of the healthcare providers for a visit. The clinician will determine your suitability for the potential benefits of medical cannabis. If you qualify, the clinician will issue your certification and send information electronically to the Massachusetts Cannabis Control Commission. Once submitted by the healthcare provider, a 14-day temporary registration is generated instantly for the newly certified patient to access 2.5 ounces of medical marijuana at Medical Marijuana Treatment Centers (MTCs).
Patients must complete the full online registration process in order to receive their physical Medical Program ID card and possess a 60-day supply. After clinician certification, the patient will receive an e-mail from the Commission with a PIN number to steps to complete the registration process through the online portal. Clinicians are encouraged to provide patients with the 14-day instant access certification, patient PIN number, and formal steps to register.
The patient registration is also available in paper form for those without access to internet or an inability to complete the form. Paper registrations are listed on Commission's website, find the form you need and print by clicking here. Please contact the Cannabis Control Commission's Medical Use of Marijuana Program Support Line at (833) 869-6820 with further requests for paper registration forms. Paper forms may take more time for the Commission to process but can sometimes be easier to complete for some patients without scanners or access to computers.
What is the Virtual Gateway and how do I register?
The Medical Use of Marijuana Online System exists within the Executive Office of Health and Human Services’ Virtual Gateway. You must first create your Virtual Gateway account in order to register with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program.
- Registering for the First Time: After receiving a clinician certification you may register online by visiting the Virtual Gateway to Setup your Account: https://sso.hhs.state.ma.us/VGPortal/faces/SelfReg.jspx
- Read through the Terms and Conditions and click “I Accept.”
- Select Medical Use of Marijuana System as the Service Name.
- Enter your first name, (middle initial is optional), last name, create your own 4 digit pin, birth date (month/day), e-mail address, and complete the security question.
- Press Submit. You will then receive an e-mail from Gateway, Virtual (EHS) <email@example.com> titled, "Your Virtual Gateway Account”
- Open the e-mail from firstname.lastname@example.org titled, "Your Virtual Gateway Account” and click the link inside to complete your Virtual Gateway account setup. (The link expires 7 days from when it is sent)
- Review that all of your account information on the page is correct
- Create a password: Between 8 and 16 characters. Your password must contain at least one uppercase character, at least one lowercase character, and at least one number. (Passwords cannot contain: the words "test", "password", or "pass", your first name, your last name, or your full name, your virtual gateway username, your email address.)
- Choose two of the six secret questions and provide answers. These answers are to help you regain control of your account if you lose or forget your password. (Questions include, “What is your favorite song?, What is your favorite drink? What is your favorite food? What is your favorite animal?”)
- Press Submit. Your username will appear on a Congratulations page. You will also receive your username in an e-mail from “Gateway, Virtual (EHS) <email@example.com>” titled “Congratulations on Creating Your Virtual Gateway Account!"
How do I successfully register my information with the medical marijuana program?
- Log In to the Virtual Gateway with your username and password. Once you’ve logged in, select the Medical Use of Marijuana System and continue. You’ve reached the Medical Use of Marijuana Online Registration System. Click “Register as a Patient” to Continue.
- Enter your Identification Information: PIN or Registration Number. (This is the same Patient PIN that was generated when your certifying physician sent your certification to the Cannabis Control Commission. You find your PIN in the e-mail from the Commission (CNB) in Step 1), Last Name, Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY), Last 4 Digits of Social Security Number, and Press Proceed.
- Read Through the General Instructions and Press Proceed
- Complete Registration Information: Enter your mother’s maiden name, choose your gender, you must enter a phone number into the home phone section, and enter your e-mail.
- Residential Address: Enter your full residential address
- Mailing Address: Enter your full mailing address (Click box if Mailing Address is same as residential address)
- Read through and Agree to all Attestations.
How do I upload my valid form of identification?
You must upload a color file of your Massachusetts driver's license, Massachusetts ID card (that has a picture of yourself on it); US Passport; or US Military ID. If you submit a driver's license or Massachusetts ID card as your valid form of identification, the name and address in your application must match the name and address on your ID. If the address on the front of your license is no longer your current address you must write your current address on the back of your license in permanent marker and upload the front and back. If uploading a US military ID, also scan and upload the front and back of the card.)
- Select which Valid Form of Identification you will be uploading
- Enter the Number on your Valid Form of Identification
- Enter the expiration date on your Valid Form of Identification
- Select the file of the your Valid Form of Identification to Upload. Once you’ve chosen the file, click the Upload button.
Once you’ve uploaded your Identification Image(s), you will see “My Uploaded Document” You will see the Date and Timestamp of your Uploaded Image. Under “Actions” you may delete your uploaded image. Once you have uploaded your file successfully you may proceed to the next page.
(Your uploaded file must be in PDF or JPG format and file size must be under 2MB. You may scan your images using a scanner or take pictures using a phone with a clear camera.)
How do I finalize my registration application and receive my Program ID card?
Review and Submit Application: Check that all information you have submitted is correct before submission. Once you’re ready, submit your patient registration application to the Commission. The Commission will review your application in the order it was received. You will be notified via e-mail from CNBCommission (CNB) <firstname.lastname@example.org> whether your application was accepted or is not complete. If your application is not complete, your e-mail message will tell you what the issue is and how you can log back into the Virtual Gateway to fix the information for resubmission.
When the Commission approves your registration application you may log back in your Virtual Gateway account, select Medical Use of Marijuana System, and print your temporary program ID card by clicking the "Print Temporary Program ID card" link on the homepage. Your temporary program ID card acts as your card until your official card arrives in the mail. You may use your temporary program ID card to enter Registered Marijuana Dispensaries and possess a 60-day supply of medicine.